Re: pgsql8b5 not launching on OSX system start; otherwise OK - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql8b5 not launching on OSX system start; otherwise OK
Date
List pgsql-general
OpenMacNews <pgsql-general.20.openmacnews@spamgourmet.com> writes:
> fyi:  here's an O'Reilly blurb with way more info than you want to know ...
> <http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/10/21/startup.html>

After eyeballing that, I think I have no hope of reproducing your test
conditions unless you show me the exact script and property list files
you used.  In particular, I was wondering if the problem could be
related to launching the postmaster in advance of some system service it
needs; without seeing the Requires/Uses specs you gave, there's no way
to know what might have happened.

BTW, that page also references this Apple document saying that
StartupItems are being obsoleted:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/macosx/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Concepts/BootProcess.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20002130/CJBBICAB
However, they should still work as of 10.3.*, so that's just an
interesting tidbit for the future.

            regards, tom lane