RE: Replication question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scot Kreienkamp
Subject RE: Replication question
Date
List pgsql-general

Dang, I thought that sounded too good to be true.  Oh well.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Scot Kreienkamp |Senior Systems Engineer | La-Z-Boy Corporate
One La-Z-Boy Drive| Monroe, Michigan 48162 | Office: 734-384-6403 | | Mobile: 7349151444 | Email: Scot.Kreienkamp@la-z-boy.com

From: Don Seiler [mailto:don@seiler.us]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 9:58 AM
To: Scot Kreienkamp <Scot.Kreienkamp@la-z-boy.com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: Replication question

I thought I read somewhere that in 9.6, as long as the WAL log is available on disk or in the archive the replication server will provide that to the replication client, and my archive NFS mount didn’t have to be available to all replication clients.

Streaming replication will only read from the WAL files in the $PGDATA/pg_xlog directory. It will not read from archives. So, yes, you would need your NFS mount on the replica (or otherwise copy the archive files to the replica).

Don.

--

Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain privileged, confidential information which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or by telephone at the above number. Thank you.