Re: Performance of PostgreSQL on Windows vs Linux - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance of PostgreSQL on Windows vs Linux
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Jeremy Haile" <jhaile@fastmail.fm> writes:
> Thanks for the response!  I know I have to benchmark them to get a real
> answer.  I am just looking to hear someone say "We benchmarked Linux vs.
> Windows with similar configuration and hardware and experienced a 25%
> performance boost in Linux."  or "We benchmarked them and found no
> significant difference."

I've heard anecdotal reports both ways: "there's no difference" and
"there's a big difference".  So there's no substitute for benchmarking
your own application.

I think one big variable in this is which PG version you are testing.
We've been gradually filing down some of the rough edges in the native
Windows port, so I'd expect that the performance gap is closing over
time.  I don't know how close to closed it is in 8.2, but I'd surely
suggest that you do your benchmarking with 8.2.

            regards, tom lane