Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> writes:
> The useful bug tracking systems I've used have also included QA.  Any
> bug submitted doesn't get accepted without a standalone test case.

Side note: while test cases are certainly Good Things that make life
easier for developers, so we should encourage people to provide 'em,
I can't say that I like the idea of a tracking system designed around
the concept that a bug for which you don't have a test case isn't real.
It's not all that easy to make a test case for bugs involving concurrent
behavior.  I'd go so far as to say that most of the seriously
interesting bugs that I've dealt with in this project were ones that the
original reporter didn't have a reproducible test case for.