Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add configure option --with-system-tzdata to use operating system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
[ catching up on today's email ]

> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> In the first place, it is considered bad form for a package to install
>> an absolute symlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo:

> Fwiw Debian also faced this issue and came to a different conclusion.

That's fair enough --- as I mentioned, I wasn't 100% convinced either.
But those are the rules for RHEL/Fedora packages and I'm gonna play
by them.

The bottom line here is that accessing a system copy of the zic database
is going to be so system-dependent that I'm not sure Peter's patch will
be useful to anybody.

> Why would --with-zoneinfo want to use a symlink though? Shouldn't it just
> compile the binary to use the path specified directly?

AFAICS that just moves the problem to a different place, one where an
admin *can't* fix it without recompiling ...