Re: create if not exists (CINE) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: create if not exists (CINE)
Date
Re: create if not exists (CINE)  (Laurent Laborde <kerdezixe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> 1. Why should it do nothing if the object already exists (as opposed
> to any other alternative)?

> Answer: Because that's what "CREATE IF NOT EXISTS" means when
> interpreted as English.

The argument was not about whether that is the "plain meaning" of the
phrase; it was about whether that is a safe and useful behavior for a
command to have.  There is a pretty substantial group of people who
think that it would be quite unsafe, which is why we failed to arrive
at a consensus that this is a good thing to implement.