Re: bitmap AM design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From pgsql@mohawksoft.com
Subject Re: bitmap AM design
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Ühel kenal päeval (teisipäev, 1. märts 2005, 14:54-0500), kirjutas
> pgsql@mohawksoft.com:
>> Now, it occurs to me that if my document reference table can refer to
>> something other than an indexed primary key, I can save a lot of index
>> processing time in PostgreSQL if I can have a "safe" analogy to CTID.
>
> I guess you could work on making hash indexes better (for concurrent
> access).
>
> 'a "safe" analogy to CTID' looks remarkably like hash index

Yes, I agree, but I don't particularly like linear hash models without the
ability to adjust the initial table size estimates. Also, hash tables
without access to the hash function typically have a lot of collision,
specifically, I am dubious of "generic" hash functions having an optimally
dispersed behavior.