Re: Copyright information in source files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Copyright information in source files
Date
Re: Copyright information in source files  (vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 11:39 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * Copyright (c) 2016-2019, PostgreSQL Global Development Group

> While we're talking about copyrights, I noticed while researching
> something else that the PHP project recently got rid of all the
> copyright years from their files, which is one less thing to update
> and one less cause of noise in the change log for rarely-changed
> files. Is there actually a good reason to update the year?

Good question.

I was wondering about something even simpler: is there a reason to
have per-file copyright notices at all?  Why isn't it good enough
to have one copyright notice at the top of the tree?

Actual legal advice might be a good thing to have here ...