Re: Question about format_type function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question about format_type function
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com> writes:
> The format_type function is great, except for the way it formats varchars,
> it always returns Character Varying or whatever,
> I don't know of any other system that shows varchars in this way, they
> should just be formated as varchar(50).

Hmm ... AFAICS, "character varying(n)" and "varchar(n)" are equally
valid spellings according to the SQL spec.

I'd personally prefer the shorter spelling too, but I can't see any
particularly strong argument for changing it.

            regards, tom lane