Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Could postgres be much cleaner if a future release skipped backward compatibility?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> writes:
> Just curious, but with that thought in mind, are we doing any code
> cleanups as far as EOL releases?  Ie. is there any code in our tree right
> now that is for 'backward compatibility' for 7.3.x versions that could be
> cleaned out?

Well, we were just trying to pull out add_missing_from, and look how far
that's gotten ...

Something that has been suggested is to rip out pg_dump's support for
pre-7.3 servers, which would probably be easier to get through because
it wouldn't create any user-visible feature loss.  It wouldn't be a
monstrous savings but it'd certainly simplify matters somewhat.