Re: IPv6 link-local addresses and init data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: IPv6 link-local addresses and init data type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> writes:
> Given that a zone_id is a) highly system dependent and b) only ever
> meaningful for non-global addresses, I'm wondering what the use case for
> storing them is.

> I'm even wondering if 'fe80::1%1'::inet = 'fe80::1%2'::inet shouldn't
> simply yield true. After all, it's the same (non-global) address.

Surely not?  If the zone_ids didn't mean anything, why would the concept
even exist?  ISTM that what you've got there is two different addresses
neither of which is reachable from outside the given machine --- but
within that machine, they are different.