Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.5 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I have just done cvs update and saw your changes. I tried the same
> testing as I did before (64 conccurrent connections, and each
> connection excutes 100 transactions), but it failed again.
>
> (1) without -B 1024, it failed: out of free buffers: time to abort!

Right now, the postmaster will let you set any combination of -B and -N
you please.  But it seems obvious that there is some minimum number of
buffers per backend below which things aren't going to work very well.
I wonder whether the postmaster startup code ought to enforce a minimum
ratio, say -B at least twice -N ?  I have no idea what an appropriate
limit would be, however.  Vadim, do you have any thoughts?