Re: cannot use result of (insert .. returning) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: cannot use result of (insert .. returning)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

you can wrap INSERT STATEMENT into function. Than you can do anything
with result;

create table f(a timestamp);

postgres=# select * from (insert into f values(current_timestamp)
returning *) x where x.a > now();
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "into"
LINE 1: select * from (insert into f values(current_timestamp) retur...
                              ^
create or replace function if() returns setof f as $$begin return
query insert into f values(current_timestamp) returning *; return;
end$$ language plpgsql;

postgres=# select * from if() where a > now();
---
(0 rows)

regards
Pavel Stehule