Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security
Date
Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: SE-PostgreSQL and row level security  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> And it doesn't accomplish anything since the covert
>> channels it attempts to address are still open.
> Hyperbole.  We're not very likely to go the SE-* route, but I can say
> that we've got some of the issues it addresses, and it is a very
> different thing for someone to know, for example, that there is a
> paternity case 2009PA000023 in a county, and for them to know what the
> case caption is (which includes the names).

Which is something you could implement with standard SQL column
permissions; and could *not* implement with row-level access
permissions.  Row-level is all or nothing for each row.