Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal : REINDEX xxx VERBOSE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Sawada Masahiko <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now, I think that it may
>> be better to provide the keyword VERBOSE before the type of object
>> reindexed as REINDEX [ VERBOSE ] object.

> Actually, my first WIP version of patch added VERBOSE word at before
> type of object.
> I'm feeling difficult about that the position of VERBOSE word in
> REINDEX statement.

The way that FORCE was added to REINDEX was poorly thought out; let's not
double down on that with another option added without any consideration
for future expansion.  I'd be happier if we adopted something similar to
the modern syntax for VACUUM and EXPLAIN, ie, comma-separated options in
parentheses.