Re: [JDBC] BUG: DatabaseMetaData.getColumns isn't case insensitive - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From maly.velky@email.cz
Subject Re: [JDBC] BUG: DatabaseMetaData.getColumns isn't case insensitive
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello, thank you very much for your clarification.

So there is no way how to perform case-insensitive search in getColumns() ?

> > supportsMixedCaseIdentifiers: false
> This is reporting how the server matches up with the SQL standard, not how
> a particular JDBC API call works.
So when does this (namely "Retrieves whether this database treats mixed case unquoted SQL identifiers as case
sensitive"= false) apply? As you say it doesn't apply to the getColumns call but when does it? For insert/update/select
statementsonly? If it applies for select statements, what happens (referring to you example) when I've "select t1 from
...",does it select t1, T1, or fail?

> Od: Kris Jurka <books@ejurka.com>
> Předmět: Re: [JDBC] BUG: DatabaseMetaData.getColumns isn't case insensitive
> Datum: 03.2.2009 05:49:23
>

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, maly.velky@email.cz wrote:
>
> > I'was trying to get meta data of a column and discovered that the column
> > name is case sensitive though it should be case insensitive. I don't
> > know if this can be somehow determined by a configuration or environment
> > change because I believe that till recently it worked in a
> > case-insensitive manner.
>
> This is done by design and has been since 7.3 I believe.  The problem is
> that you can legally have two columns named "T1" and "t1".  To support
> this we need to be case sensitive on the Java side.
>
> > BTW, the metadata reports:
> > supportsMixedCaseIdentifiers: false
> > supportsMixedCaseQuotedIdentifiers: true
> > (which is pretty much expected)
>
> This is reporting how the server matches up with the SQL standard, not how
> a particular JDBC API call works.
>
> Kris Jurka

Jakub Holy
maly.velky@email.cz