Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
>> I believe 20 seconds is the standard number --- that's plenty for
>> Postgres.
>>
> Not always. More than once I have had a postgresql connection hung up
> that will stop the main postmaster from dying on TERM. However the
> machine will eventually kill it hard and thus could produce during restart.

Seems fine to me.  Otherwise such a hangup could prevent system shutdown
indefinitely, which is a Bad Thing when your UPS batteries have thirty
seconds left in 'em ...

You will get a WAL replay at restart in that scenario, but your data
should be perfectly safe.

            regards, tom lane