Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
Re: Overhauling GUCS  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
> Text config files are NOT friendly for beginner and mediocre users. IMHO
> the current restriction on GUC changes is a major obstacle towards pgsql
> tuning tools, e.g. written as a Google SoC project. Graphic tools aren't
> too popular at pgsql-hackers, but please contemplate a little how much
> pgadmin may have contributed to the pgsql usage boost, esp. on windows.

I grow weary of this thread.  I will say it once more: I do not believe
for one instant that the current formatting of postgresql.conf is the
major impediment, or even a noticeable impediment, to producing a useful
configuration wizard.  If you wish to prove otherwise, provide a
complete wizard except for the parts that touch the config file, and
I will promise to finish it.

I will not read or respond to any further discussion of changing the
config file format.  It's a waste of bandwidth.