Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh@cs.berkeley.edu> writes:
> I'm not sure if I understand Tom's beef - I think he is concerned
> about what happens if a subordinate does not respond to a prepare
> message. I would assume that the co-ordinator would not let the commit
> go through until it has received confirmations from every
> subordinate.

No.  I want to know what the subordinate does when it's promised to
commit and the co-ordinator never responds.  AFAICS the subordinate
is screwed --- it can't commit, and it can't abort, and it can't expect
to make progress indefinitely on other work while it's holding locks
for the not-quite-committed transaction.