Re: macos ventura SDK spews warnings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: macos ventura SDK spews warnings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2022-10-15 18:47:16 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Originally we used the platform's sprintf there because we couldn't
>>> rely on platforms having functional snprintf.  That's no longer the case,
>>> I imagine, so we could just switch these calls over to snprintf.

> Is there a platform still supported in older branches that we need to worry
> about?

snprintf is required by POSIX going back to SUSv2, so it's pretty darn
hard to imagine any currently-used platform that hasn't got it.  Even
my now-extinct dinosaur gaur had it (per digging in backup files).
I think we could certainly assume its presence in the branches that
require C99.  Even before that, is anybody really still building on
nineties-vintage platforms?

> I wonder if we ought to add -Wno-deprecated to out-of-support branches to deal
> with this kind of thing...

Yeah, that might be a better answer than playing whack-a-mole with
these sorts of warnings.