Re: Updating psql for features of new FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updating psql for features of new FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers
greg@turnstep.com writes:
>> Not sure how important that really is, given that we don't recommend
>> running psql against servers of different versions.

> We also do not check the version or throw a warning on a mismatched
> version, something I think it may be time to reevaluate.

It would be easy (and essentially free, since libpq already gets the info)
to add such a notice to psql startup.  How do other people feel about
it?  How would you word the notice exactly?
"psql: server version is FOO, psql version is BAR, some things may not work"
seems awfully vague, but I doubt we can be much more specific ...