Re: Postgresql-8.4: File System Level Backup (& recovery failure) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgresql-8.4: File System Level Backup (& recovery failure)
Date
List pgsql-novice
Ennio-Sr <nasr.laili@tin.it> writes:
> * Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [201112, 12:30]:
>> Use pg_controldata to print out the contents of the pg_control file as
>> extracted from the backup.  If it doesn't say the cluster state is "shut
>> down", then you've probably got an inconsistent filesystem backup.

> Mmh... it does say 'shut down'; as to the other items to my
> un-experienced eyes they look so similar to the result I get on a bare
> 'new' (empty) cluster just created in a different dir...

In that case, in principle restoring the backup should work.  Are you
sure you copied the entire $PGDATA directory tree?  If you omitted
portions like pg_xlog or pg_clog that could be problematic.  What
failure messages do you get *exactly*?

            regards, tom lane