Re: interval behaviour - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: interval behaviour
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> Actually, I too prefer PostgreSQL's syntax.  It's the worrisome
> behaviour of swallowing the spec syntax but not giving the right answer
> that scares me.  Would it be very hard to have it just return an error
> in that case?  Rather an error than the wrong answer.

Yeah, the problem is that Tom had that project about half done :-( ...
I think that the bison grammar has the support but then nothing gets done
with it in parse analysis.  Probably by the time you'd worked out where
to throw the error, you'd know enough to fix it to work properly.

We could instead rip out the grammar support, which wouldn't take any
complicated analysis, but that seems like going backwards ...

            regards, tom lane