Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly...
Date
List pgsql-performance
Chris Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:
> kurt@hotdogrecords.com (Kurt Overberg) writes:
>> In my investigation of this anomaly, I noticed that the data/ dir on
>> db1 (the master) is around 60 Gigs.  The data directory on the slaves
>> is around 25Gb.  After about 3 months of head scratching, someone on
>> the irc channel suggested that it may be due to index bloat.

> I'd be inclined to head to the filesystem level, and try to see what
> tables are bloated *there*.

At least as a first cut, it should be sufficient to look at
pg_class.relpages, which'd be far easier to correlate with table names
;-).  The relpages entry should be accurate as of the most recent VACUUM
on each table, which ought to be close enough unless I missed something
about the problem situation.

            regards, tom lane