Re: Collate order on Mac OS X, text with diacritics in UTF-8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Collate order on Mac OS X, text with diacritics in UTF-8
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> writes:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> Yes, that's the basic idea. Mac OS X apparently provides ICU underneath
>> for programs that would like true unicode collation, but there is
>> little chance that postgresql will ever use this.

> Out of interest: Why not?

There's plenty of discussion in the archives about it, but basically
ICU would represent a pretty enormous dependency and would lock us in
to having no other backend encoding but UTF8.

The state of OS X's POSIX-spec locale support is pretty pitiful, but on
the whole I'd say if you need better UTF8 locale support you could use
another OS.

            regards, tom lane