Re: shared_buffers documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: shared_buffers documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> As for updating the size recommendations, the text at
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server has been
>> beaten into the status quo by a number of people. �Here's what might make
>> sense from there to insert into the docs, removing the bits referring to
>> older versions, rewriting a bit for manual tone, and noting the checkpoint
>> issues:

> This is good text.  I will incorporate it with slight copy editing if
> no one objects.

Looks good to me too, although perhaps more than the single use of
"dedicated" is needed to remind people that these numbers are only
appropriate if the machine is not doing anything else than running
(one instance of) Postgres.  Should we expend a whole sentence
on that?