Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lee Kindness
Subject Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Al, to be honest I don't think the Windows native would save hassle,
rather it'd probably cause more! No disrespect to those doing the
version, read on for reasoning...

Yes, you get a beta of a Windows native version just now, yes it
probably will not be that long till the source is a available... But
how long till it's part of a cosha PostgreSQL release? Version
7.4... Could be up to six months... Do you want to run pre-release
versions in the meantime? Don't think so, not in a production
environment!

So, the real way to save hassle is probably a cheap commodity PC with
Linux installed... Or settle for the existing, non-native, Windows
version.

By the way, just to open Office documents? Have you tried OpenOffice?

Regards, Lee Kindness.

Al Sutton writes:> Is there a rough date for when they'll be available?> > I have a development team at work who
currentlyhave an M$-Windows box and a> Linux box each in order to allow them to read M$-Office documents sent to us>
anddevelop against PostgreSQL (which we use in production).> > I know I could have a shared Linux box with multiple
databasesand have them> bind to that, but one of the important aspects of  our application is> response time, and you
can'taccurately measure response times for code> changes on a shared system.> > Having a Win32 native version would
savea lot of hassles for me.> > Al.> > ----- Original Message -----> From: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>> >
>Ulrich Neumann wrote:> > > Hello,> > >> > > i've read that there are 2 different native ports for Windows> > >
somewhere.>> >> > > I've searched for them but didn't found them. Is there anyone who can> > > point me to a link or
sendme a copy of the sources?> >> > Oh, you are probably asking about the sources.  They are not publically> >
availableyet.