Re: Grant Update (Possible bug)? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Grant Update (Possible bug)?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> According to the letter of the SQL standard, this behavior is not conforming.
> But PostgreSQL enforces that you need SELECT privilege for columns that you
> read for the purpose of performing an UPDATE.

Why do you think it's non-conformant?  AFAICS SQL92 section 6.4 <column
reference> Access Rule 1(a) requires exactly this behavior.

I notice that Annex E item 5 points this out as an incompatibility with
SQL89 ... maybe Oracle is still on SQL89 ...

            regards, tom lane