Re: upgraded to pgsql 8.2.4, getting worse performance then 7.4.x - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: upgraded to pgsql 8.2.4, getting worse performance then 7.4.x
Date
List pgsql-performance
Douglas J Hunley <doug@hunley.homeip.net> writes:
> On Saturday 02 June 2007 11:25:11 Tom Lane wrote:
>> Another thing that seems strange is that the 8.2 config file does not
>> seem to have been processed by initdb --- or did you explicitly comment
>> out the settings it made?

> I don't understand this comment. You are saying 'initdb' will make changes to
> the file? The file I sent is the working copy from the machine in question.

Yeah --- in a normal installation, initdb will provide un-commented
entries for these postgresql.conf parameters:

max_connections
shared_buffers
max_fsm_pages
datestyle
lc_messages
lc_monetary
lc_numeric
lc_time

(The first three are set dependent on SHMMAX probing, the others
dependent on locale.)  Your conf file doesn't seem to have been through
that autoconfiguration step, which suggests someone poking at things
they should have left alone.

            regards, tom lane