Re: BUG #3950: Server Problems - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #3950: Server Problems
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Wolvesden" <c_william04@msn.com> writes:
> For some reason when I upgraded to 8.3 I can't get the server to start.
> What it keeps telling me is as Follows:
> pg_ctrl: another server might be running; trying to start server anyway
> FATAL: unreconized configuration parameter "redirect_stderr"

This indicates that you're trying to use an 8.2 (or older) configuration
file with an 8.3 server.  I speculate that you didn't bother with a dump
and reload, either.  You can't just install 8.3 over 8.2 without a dump
and reload --- see the fine manual concerning upgrading to a new major
release.

            regards, tom lane