Re: Maximum length of a query - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Maximum length of a query
Date
List pgsql-general
"Matthew V." <deusmech@yahoo.com> writes:
> What is the maximum length of a query nowadays? Back in 1998, it was 8192
> bytes,

That was a long time ago ;-).  There has been no hard-wired upper limit
for several releases now.

[ It's rather amusing to watch MySQL's crashme test trying to discover
our maximum query length.  At least on my machine, the Perl process
running crashme hits the kernel's per-process memory limit and dies,
while the backend it's talking to is still comfortably under the limit.
I wonder whether MySQL regards that as a test failure ... ]

            regards, tom lane