Re: Parallel Aggregates for string_agg and array_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Parallel Aggregates for string_agg and array_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 4:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I fear that what will happen, if we commit this, is that something like
>> 0.01% of the users of array_agg and string_agg will be pleased, another
>> maybe 20% will be unaffected because they wrote ORDER BY which prevents
>> parallel aggregation, and the remaining 80% will scream because we broke
>> their queries.  Telling them they should've written ORDER BY isn't going
>> to cut it, IMO, when the benefit of that breakage will accrue only to some
>> very tiny fraction of use-cases.

> I think your estimated percentages here are wildly inaccurate.

My estimate for the number of people positively impacted could be off
by a factor of a thousand, and it still wouldn't change the conclusion
that this will hurt more people than it helps.

I see that I'm in the minority on this, so I'm prepared to accept defeat,
but I stand by that conclusion.