Unexplained createdb mydb response - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From PG Doc comments form
Subject Unexplained createdb mydb response
Date
List pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/tutorial-createdb.html

I tried the first example in section 1.3 of the initial tutorial,
    createdb mydb
The tutorial says
> If this produces no response then this step was successful and you can
skip over the remainder of this section.
Well, it produces no response, no response at all. It doesn't even return
control to the shell. I have to use ^C to kill it.

If I try
    which createdb
I get the response
    /cygdrive/c/Program Files/PostgreSQL/11/bin/createdb
so the program is installed.

Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.
Thanks.