Re: restore whoes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: restore whoes
Date
List pgsql-admin
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> We can offer a GUC switch to provide the old COPY IN behavior
>> for people who need it --- but given the shape of the world today, the
>> default behavior needs to be Microsoft-proof.

> I am afraid we will fix the \r\n problem but cause many more problems
> with old dumps and hand-created COPY files.

> What if we add GUC param and keep the behavior unchanged?

Well, at that point it comes down to opinions.  I stand by my opinion
above, but I have no more numbers to prove it than you do.

However, if we make the appropriate code and documentation changes in
7.2.1, then (a) dumps from 7.2.1 or later will be no problem, and (b)
people will have nearly a full release cycle to update any existing
applications that generate the deprecated \r representation.  So I
don't think that it'll be a big problem for 7.3 to have a
non-backwards-compatible default behavior.

            regards, tom lane