Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> No, that sounds like it should be sufficient ... but you need to check
>> the template0 encodings match too, assuming that we make encoding and
>> locale work the same here.

> OK, are you suggesting checking the pg_database.encoding for
> template0 for both servers because that information isn't in either
> pg_controldatas?

Right.  Compare old template0 encoding against new template0 encoding,
and old locale information from pg_controldata against new template0
locale information.  If these match then it will be safe to let
pg_dumpall omit the corresponding CREATE DATABASE parameters.