Re: dblink crash on PPC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: dblink crash on PPC
Date
Re: dblink crash on PPC  (Steve Singer <ssinger@ca.afilias.info>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Around when did it start failing?
> According to the buildfarm logs the first failure was roughly 1 day
> 10 hours 40 minutes before this post.

See
http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_history.pl?nm=wombat&br=HEAD

The problem here is that wombat has been offline for about a month
before that, so it could have broken anytime in the past month.
It's also not unlikely that the hiatus signals a change in the
underlying hardware or software, which might have been the real
cause.  (Mark?)

> Keep in mind that PPC is a platform with weak memory ordering....

grebe, which is also a PPC64 machine, isn't showing the bug.  And I just
failed to reproduce the problem on a RHEL6 PPC64 box.  About to go try
it on RHEL5, which has a gcc version much closer to what wombat says
it's using, but I'm not very hopeful about that.  I think the more
likely thing to be keeping in mind is that Gentoo is a platform with
poor quality control.