Re: PostgreSQL 11.1, 10.6, 9.6.11, 9.5.15, 9.4.20, and 9.3.25Released! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 11.1, 10.6, 9.6.11, 9.5.15, 9.4.20, and 9.3.25Released!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

following up to -advocacy.

Am Donnerstag, den 08.11.2018, 08:38 -0500 schrieb Jonathan S. Katz:
> The PostgreSQL Global Development Group has released an update to all
> supported versions of our database system, including 11.1, 10.6, 9.6.11,
> 9.5.15, 9.4.20, and 9.3.25. This release fixes one security issue as
> well as bugs reported over the last three months.

[...]

> Security Issues
> ---------------
>
> One security vulnerability has been closed by this release:
>
> * CVE-2018-16850: SQL injection in `pg_upgrade` and `pg_dump`, via
> `CREATE TRIGGER ... REFERENCING`.
>
> Using a purpose-crafted trigger definition, an attacker can run
> arbitrary SQL statements with superuser privileges when a superuser runs
> `pg_upgrade` on the database or during a pg_dump dump/restore cycle.
> This attack requires a `CREATE` privilege on some non-temporary schema
> or a `TRIGGER` privilege on a table.  This is exploitable in the default
> PostgreSQL configuration, where all users have `CREATE` privilege on
> `public` schema.

AIUI, this security issue only affects v10 and v11, but this is not
clear from the announcement AFAICT, unless I missed it?

I think it would be good to mention the exact versions that are affected
by a CVE in the announcement; of course it is always possible to inspect
the individual release notes, but having the information up front would
be nice (again, unless I am missing something).

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz