Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> * support for Tutorial D as an alternative to SQL. It would be   great
>>> for educational purposes.

> This strikes me as something that belongs in a research project, not in the
> core, at least for now.

For better or worse, Postgres is a SQL engine; I can't imagine trying
to support two different query languages at the same time.  When the
Berkeley guys ripped out PostQUEL and put in SQL, it was a major change,
and we are *still* trying to clean up leftover baggage from having
originally used a different language with different query semantics.
Even if Tutorial D were the greatest thing since sliced bread,
supporting it alongside SQL sounds totally impractical.

(Reality check: even supporting Oracle's flavor of SQL alongside ours
would be an incredible pain.  Ask the EnterpriseDB guys how they're
doing on that ...)