Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.
Date
List pgsql-admin
Sushil Shirodkar wrote:

> > > I have put some small script which runs in a loop with "free -h" command,
> > > while I am running "vacuumdb".  Once I clear by "sync" or bounce PG,
> > > everything runs normal afterward.
> >
> > Then I would say everything is fine.
> > It is normal for a Linux system to have almost no free memory; the memory is used
> > for the file system cache.
> >
> > Do you experience any problems, like reduced performance or high I/O?
> >
> Performance issue.
>
> Can I restrict memory usage at session level in the script where I run
> Vacuum DB ?

Could you please bottom-post?

Once vacuumdb is done, the associated backend process is gone too, so
it cannot consume any memory.

Try to figure out which process consumes your memory.

What do you get for free -h?

How did you configure shared_buffers and maintenance_work_mem?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe