Re: Summary of new configuration file and data directory locations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Summary of new configuration file and data directory locations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I am confused why we can't just make the directory be owned by
> PostgreSQL super user with 700 permissions, like we do now with /data.

We could do it that way, but then the set of parameters Peter proposed
is quite unreasonable; there should be exactly one, namely the name of
the config directory.

Now that I think about it, that actually seems a pretty reasonable idea.
Just allow all the hand-maintained config files to be placed in a
separate directory, which we treat just like $PGDATA as far as
permissions go.  If you want a backwards-compatible setup, you need only
set the config directory equal to $PGDATA, and you're done.