Re: Best options for new PG instance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pinker
Subject Re: Best options for new PG instance
Date
List pgsql-general
Bugzilla from scherrey@proteus-tech.com wrote
> Oh - and lots of memory is always good no matter what as others have said.

I'm probably "the others" here. I have seen already really large
instalations like with 6TB of RAM. Dealing with it is like completely other
universe of problems, because of NUMA - you cannot really have large RAM
without multiple sockets, because every processor has got maximum memory
capacity. What's next - those processors need to communicate with each other
and the hardware and those algorithms aren't perfect yet (would rather say
are underdeveloped).

so - more memory is a good rule of thumb, but sky isn't the limit :)

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html