Re: Too many .history file in pg_xlog takes lots of space - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Too many .history file in pg_xlog takes lots of space
Date
List pgsql-performance
彭昱傑 wrote:
> My postgre version is 9.4.9, and I face a space issue.
>
> Every time I restart postgre server, it generates a new history file:
> 0000156A.history =>  0000156B.history
>
> Now it takes a lot of space about 800MB (5787 history file):
> [...]
> Is  file 00001570.history important?

A new history file is created when a new timeline is opened,
which happens after point-in-time-recovery or promotion of
a physical standby server.

There must be something weird in the way you start PostgreSQL.
Examine the start script, maybe you can fix the problem.

These files are only necessary for point-in-time-recovery,
so you don't have to retain them any longer than you retain
your WAL archives.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe