Re: Summary of new configuration file and data directory locations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Summary of new configuration file and data directory locations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This strikes me as a fairly BAD idea because of the security
>> implications of keeping these things in a world-accessible directory.

> I assumed sysconfdir was _not_ going to be world-accessable.  Does it
> have to be?

Peter mentioned /etc as a plausible value of sysconfdir.  I don't think
we should assume that it is a postgresql-only directory.  Moreover,
there is little point in making these files root-owned (as he also
suggested) if they live in a postgres-owned directory; yet unless they
do, we can't use restrictive directory permissions.