Off-Topic: PostgreSQL Community Weight Loss Challenge - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Finnerty
Subject Off-Topic: PostgreSQL Community Weight Loss Challenge
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The *PostgreSQL Community Weight Loss Challenge*

At PGConf Austin last week, a number of us made an early New Year's
resolution to shed some unwanted pounds before the PGConf US National
Conference in New York City on April 16th 2018.

While it is undeniably true that these resolutions were made over beers and
on a full stomach, several of us recommitted ourselves to this goal at the
conference the following day, and I agreed to make a post to pgsql-hackers
to invite others in our community to join us.  So here it is.

If you would like to participate in the PostgreSQL community weight loss
challenge, and have clearance from your doctor to participate in this sort
of thing, the terms of the diet challenge are as follows:

tl;dr;  -  To sign up, point your browser here:  https : // www . dietbet .
com / games / 102875 / activity

-   The game will be run by DietBet.com.  I have no affiliation with
DietBet, but I have participated in DietBets before and found the social
networking aspect to be a surprisingly effective motivator.  You send two
photographs to them each month, one of which shows a full body shot in a
mirror, and the other shows your weight as you stand on a scale.  You mail
the jpegs to DietBet, and one of their judges either accepts or rejects your
photos as authentic.  Nobody else gets to see these photos.

-   You pay $25/month to participate.  If you reach the goal percent weight
loss for each month, you split the pot with others in the game who met the
goal that month.

-   DietBet would not allow me to create a 4-month game just for the
PostgreSQL Community, so I am proposing that we do the next best thing and
join the "Healthy Holidays Transformer" 6-month game, which starts on Dec-12
2017, and continues until June-11 2018.  You can drop out early if you want
to, but some fraction of the "pot" is reserved to the final round of the
game.

-   The game is set up so that the weight loss targets are a percentage of
your body weight each month.  The percentages are 3%, 3%, 2%, 1%, 1%, 0%, so
if you sign on now, and successfully meet your goals for 4 months, then you
will have lost 9% of your body weight by the US National PGConf in NYC on
April 16th.

We probably can't post external links here, but to sign up, point your
browser at the following url, but with spaces removed:  https : // www .
dietbet . com / games / 102875 / activity

This should lead you to the "Healthy Holidays Transformer" diet game.

See you all in NYC on April 16th!

thank you,

    /Jim Finnerty

--