Re: [PERFORM] blocking index creation - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: [PERFORM] blocking index creation
Date
List pgsql-performance
Neto pr wrote:
> When creating index on table of approximately 10GB of data, the DBMS hangs (I think),
> because even after waiting 10 hours there was no return of the command.
> It happened by creating Hash indexes and B + tree indexes.
> However, for some columns, it was successfully (L_RETURNFLAG, L_PARTKEY).

> If someone has a hint how to speed up index creation so that it completes successfully.

Look if CREATE INDEX is running or waiting for a lock (check the
"pg_locks" table, see if the backend consumes CPU time).

Maybe there is a long-running transaction that blocks the
ACCESS EXCLUSIVE lock required.  It could also be a prepared
transaction.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe