Re: Getting rid of cmin and cmax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting rid of cmin and cmax
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> As I tried to say in the first post, I believe we can actually get away
> without an entry in local memory in typical scenarios, including bulk
> data loads.

I didn't find that argument very credible, particularly not the part
that assumes we know what the oldest snapshot is.  I remain of the
opinion that this is going to be a large, complicated (ie buggy),
poorly performing mechanism to hypothetically someday save 4 bytes
that, even if we do save them, are just going to disappear into
alignment padding on most newer servers.