Re: pg_restore direct to database is broken for --insert dumps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_restore direct to database is broken for --insert dumps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 01/04/2012 06:20 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Not easily: there could be newlines embedded in data strings or SQL
>> identifiers.

> Should we look at eliminating those newlines for the future by using
> U&"" identifiers where there are embedded newlines and unicode escapes
> for newlines in data strings?

> Then at least we'd possibly be able to get rid of the kludge some time
> in the future.

Given our high expectations for forward-compatibility of dump files, we
couldn't drop the code anytime in the foreseeable future, so I cannot
get excited about spending time on that.  (AFAIR, we have *never*
intentionally broken compatibility of pg_dump files, unless you count
breaking dumps made by unreleased development versions.)