Re: pgsql: Have numeric 0 ^ 4.3 return 1, rather than an error, and have 0 ^ - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Have numeric 0 ^ 4.3 return 1, rather than an error, and have 0 ^
Date
Re: pgsql: Have numeric 0 ^ 4.3 return 1, rather than an error, and have 0 ^
List pgsql-committers
>> b) If VB is 0 (zero) and VE is negative, then an exception condition is
>> raised: data exception � invalid argument for power function.

> Well, this indicates we shouldn't return "zero raised to a negative
> power is undefined", but rather the power error we are giving now, or
> are you saying we should return the "power" error code but an error
> message mentioning zero?

The spec says what the SQLSTATE code should be.   We have always felt
free to word the message text more specifically than that, though.

            regards, tom lane