Re: minor fix of elevel in fd.c - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: minor fix of elevel in fd.c
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq@cs.toronto.edu> writes:
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote
>>> True, but current code just check the return value of AllocateABC() then
>>> decide to upgrade elevel to FATAL.
>>
>> Where?

> In ValidatePgVersion(), FindMyDatabase(), etc -- though in practice this
> error can hardly happen anyway.

Doesn't matter because those functions only run during backend startup,
a time when ERROR and FATAL are equivalent anyhow.  It's debatable
whether those functions should be coded with the error level as ERROR
or FATAL --- there's no functional difference but it seems marginally
clearer to me to write FATAL in places where we know an error is going
to force backend exit.  You might see it differently though.

            regards, tom lane