Re: Friendly help for psql - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Friendly help for psql
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Now I have actually thought for a while whether we could get rid of the login
> text altogether.  I would support trading that for extended help options.

That makes sense to me.  I think people are accustomed to ignoring login
headers because they are usually just copyright boilerplate.  I could
see reducing the header to something like

$ psql
Welcome to psql 8.3RC2, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
Type \? for help, \q to quit.

dbname=#

in the normal case.  (The wrong-backend-version warning and perhaps
the SSL encryption notice would remain as possible additions.)

We really shouldn't be designing this on -patches, though.

            regards, tom lane